For many Americans, having a sun-kissed glow is an essential part of being young and beautiful. But while past generations used to think nothing of slathering their skin in oil and laying on the beach for hours, we’re much more discerning about how we get our tans today. Although tanning beds are still a popular option, many people are turning to spray tanning to achieve the look they want. And yet, there’s a lot of misinformation floating around about spray tanning services. In today’s post, we’ll be shedding light on some of the most popular misconceptions about spray tans you simply shouldn’t believe.
MYTH: Sunless tans don’t last as long as those obtained from tanning beds.
Truth: Although a naturally obtained tan can last for quite a while, you may also deal with sun damage. The airbrushed treatments you’ll receive at the tanning salon won’t come with that risk, which can be a major selling point for many people. But one frequently cited drawback of spray tans is how quickly they fade. It’s true that spray tans can fade quickly — if they aren’t applied properly or cared for as directed. Depending on how deep the shade of your airbrushed tan is, your treatment could last for 10 days or longer. By gently exfoliating the skin prior to your treatment, moisturizing both before and after your appointment, and waiting to shower for at least eight hours post-application, you can ensure that your tan will last.
MYTH: Spray tanning provides a less natural look.
Truth: You might be worried that a spray tan will give you an undesirable orange glow. These horror stories can occur when salons don’t offer the highest quality products, when the technicians are inexperienced, or when customers are able to choose from shade ranges that simply won’t complement their natural skin tones. To ensure your tan looks as natural as possible, you should err on the lighter side. Typically, trained technicians can advise you on the best shade to choose for your complexion — and you will never end up looking orange.
MYTH: The chemicals found in spray tanning solutions are dangerous.
Truth: Tanning gets a lot of flak, but the truth is that spray tanning is considered completely safe. In fact, the American Academy of Dermatology ranks the active ingredient in spray tanning products (which is dihydroxyacetone, or DHA) as a safe and effective ingredient that has been used in cosmetics for decades. Not only will DHA not dry out your skin, but it won’t cause any long-term negative effects either. While you certainly need to be careful about getting too much direct sun exposure, spray tanning is truly the safest way to get a healthy glow.
Ready to increase your confidence and look like you just came back from vacation? Our tanning beds and airbrush tan treatments can take you to the next level. To learn more, please contact us today.
While many people treat themselves to manicures and pedicures before their prom or their wedding, there are other important occasions where clean hands and neat nails are a must. If you’re looking for an excuse to get your nails done or wondering when to use that salon cupon, consider getting a manicure for any of these occasions:
- Professional PortraitsThe average millennial takes more than 25,000 selfies in their lifetime, and yet still manages to rarely get professional portraits taken. In other words, professional portraits are special occasions. Whether you’re getting family pictures, engagement photos, or just updating your LinkedIn profile, clean and neat nails are essential to looking your best. Don’t ruin the pricey pictures you’ll be looking at for a lifetime by focusing on hair and makeup, and forgetting to clean up with manicures and pedicures.
- Job InterviewsEveryone knows to dress for success when attending a job interview. Keeping nails clean and neat is another way to show potential employers that you are a polished and responsible candidate. When you pass interviewers your resume, you might even get a compliment on your manicure!
- TravelingWhile visiting new places, looking neat and professional is always a good practice. Not only will service personnel and strangers likely be more receptive of you, but the pictures you take on the journeys will be even lovelier when featuring each of your vacation pedicures!
- When Hosting a PartyAlthough guests are generally forgiving, many visitors want to know that the host prepared their food in a clean environment. Having neat and pretty nails will make the occasion more special, and it will also subtly signal that you have good personal and kitchen hygiene to your hungry guests.
- When you Just Need a BreakFinally, Cosmopolitan points out that our hectic lifestyles leave little room for self-care and personal indulgence. Regularly getting pedicures and manicures (that you can afford) is a great way to take a break. Pedicures and manicures also make great personal rewards for work and life achievements, since they last for several weeks.
Don’t save your manicures for random free days in your schedule or only your fanciest occasions. Plan trips to the salon so that your nails look lovely on special days and the all the days in between.
Summer is almost over, but there’s still time to get in some serious summer adventures before the warm weather’s gone. Granted, there are a lot of activities you can take part in during the fall and winter months, but there’s nothing quite like the summer sun.
That said, here are a few adventures to take yourself on before fall’s cloudy days and rainy nights take over.
Explore the ocean floor with scuba diving
Scuba diving is an incredible experience every time you do it because no dive is ever the same even if you’re diving in the same spot every year. Each time you explore the ocean floor, you’ll see new creatures and discover new areas you hadn’t noticed before.
Scuba diving is also a great way to get away from the noise of the world around you in a way going to the beach can’t.
Just be sure that you’re following the rules when you take to the water. Divers in Florida can face a non-criminal violation and a $50 fine for not properly following dive flag laws according to Florida State Statute 327.73.
Try your hand at paddle boarding
We get it. Surfing isn’t everyone’s cup of Jamba Juice. Why not giving paddle boarding for beginners a try instead?
Paddle boarding is like the relaxed version of surfing where you rely on a paddle and your muscles to propel yourself forward. What’s more, you get just a good a workout in as you would riding the waves.
Try foods you haven’t eaten before
This may not be quite a sports adventure, but it’s an adventure all the same. Some foods go out of season once fall starts to creep closer. If you haven’t had the chance to try some summer-fresh cuisine, give it a go and try something new.
Seafood, in particular, is a big thing during the summer. Try out some dishes that aren’t your regular crab, clams, and lobster. Just be sure to avoid the shellfish if you’re allergic.
Where can I get scuba gear and other sporting goods near me?
Bill Jackson’s has all the adventure gear and adventure clothing you need to make the last of your summer the experience of a lifetime. For more information about our scuba gear, fishing tackle, and other sporting equipment, contact Bill Jackson’s today.